1. Which of the following is the most appropriate reason for storing green coloured apples at low temperatures ?
(1) Reduce respiration
(2) Ripe them quickly
(3) Inhibit photosynthesis
(4) None of the above
2. The caterpilar is the stage of the butterfly ?
3. Birds have no ?
(3) Sweat glands
(4) Solid bones
4. The body's thermostat is in the ?
5. Which one of the following helps man to form vitamin D through the reaction of sun's ultraviolet rays on the skin ?
6. Salt is used in our food because ?
(1) It helps in production of hydrochloric acid required to digest the food
(2) It makes water absorb food particles better
(3) It makes the food tasty
(4) We sweat and lose salt
7. The hardness of the bone tissue is due to the phosphates and carbonates of ?
(1) Calcium and potassium
(2) Calcium and sodium
(3) Magnesium and sodium
(4) Magnesium and potassium
8. While traveling in a car, you want to throw out an empty bottle. In which direction to the moving car should you throw it to minimise the danger of its breaking on impact with the ground ?
(3) Vertical to the car
(4) Straight downward
9. Which one of the following toxic gases in the enviroment lowers the resistance to pneumonia in human beings ?
(1) Carbon dioxide
(2) Hydrogen chloride
(3) Nitrogen dioxide
(4) Sulphur dioxide
10. A noise level of 100 decibels would correspond to ?
(1) Just audinle sound
(2) Ordinary conversation
(3) Noise from a machine shop
(4) Sound from a noisy street
11. Purex glass is made from a mixture of salts of ?
(1) Magnesium and zinc
(2) Potassium and calcium
(3) Potasium and barium
(4) Zinc and barium
12. Most of the explosions in mines occur due to the mixing of ?
(1) Carbon dioxide with ethane
(2) Hydrogen with oxygen
(3) Methane with air
(4) Oxygen with acetylene
13. The memory of a computer is commonly expressed in terms of kilobytes or megabytes. A byte is made up of ?
(1) Eight binary digits
(2) Eight decimal digits
(3) Two binary digits
(4) Two decimal digits
14. Fluorescent tubes are fitted with a choke. The choke coil ?
(1) Steps up the line voltage
(2) Steps down the line voltage
(3) Reduces current in the circuit
(4) Chokes low frequency currents
15. For reproducting sound, a CD (Compart Disc) audio player uses a ?
(1) Barium titanate ceramic
(2) Titanium needle
(3) Quartz crystal
(4) Laser beam
16. In hydra, the main mechanism of transport of materials in the body occurs by which of the following ?
(2) Energy dependent uptake
(4) Water vascular system
17. A hydrogen balloon on being released rises up. What will happen to the balloon ultimately at a certain high altitude ?
(1) It will continue to move up infinitely
(2) It will brust
(3) It will start floating in the atmosphere
(4) It eill shrink and start moving down
18. The vitamin which is generally excreated by humans in urine is ?
(1) Vitamin A
(2) Vitamin C
(3) Vitamin D
(4) None of the above
19. When a CD (compact disc used in audio and video system) is seen in sunlight, rainbow like colours are seen. This can be explained on the basis of the phenomenon of ?
(1) Reflection and diffraction
(2) Reflection and transmission
(3) Diffraction and transmission
(4) Refraction, diffraction and transmission
20. BCG issued to prevent ?
21. Radish is a ?
(3) Modified root
22. Water and mineral salts are translocated in plants in the ?
23. Plants absorb most part of water needed by them through their ?
(1) Embryonic zone
(2) Growing point
(3) Root hairs
(4) Zone of elongation
24. Pungency of turmeric is due to the precense of ?
(2) Di-alyl, di-sulphide
25. Turpentine is extracted from ?
(1) Angiospernous flowers
(2) Anglo spermous wood
(3) Gymnospermous wood
26. Which of the following statement is true ?
(1) Colour blindness generally occurs in human males
(2) Night-blindness generally occurs in human males
(3) Haemophillia generally occurs in human males
(4) All of these
27. Plants that grow under average conditions of temperature and mositure are called ?
28. The widely used antibiotic, penicilian is produced by ?
(1) An algae
(2) A bacterium
(3) A tungus
(4) Synthetic means
29. The process of photosynthesis is most active in ?
(1) Blue light
(2) Green light
(3) Red light
(4) White light
30. Which of the following gases comes out from the rice-fields ?
31. Which algae is used in control of 'Malaria' ?
(4) All of these
32. Commerical production of citric acid is ?
(4) None of these
33. Asexual reproduction requires ?
(1) Two individuals
(2) Two individuals of opposite sex
(3) One individuals of any sex
(4) One individual preferably a female
34. Animals floating on the surface of water are ?
35. Which of the following glands in the human body is popularly called 'Adam's Apple' ?
36. Sponges are ?
37. Animals having well marked digestive cavity are included under ?
38. Which of the following is used by green plants for the manufacture of sugar ?
(1) Carbon dioxide
(2) Sun light
(4) All of the above
39. What do you mean by biopsy ?
(1) A disease of eyes
(2) A study of organs of dead body
(3) A study of toxicological effect of plants
(4) Examination of tissue cut from living body
40. 'Amnesia' is related to the loss of ?
41. Silver fish is ?
(1) An insect
(2) A fish
(3) A fish made of silver
(4) A term used in politics
42. Artificial light can ?
(1) Bring about photosynthesis
(2) Destroy chlorophyll
(3) Synthesis chlorophyll
(4) Not bring about photosynthesis
43. The gland that contains the body's thermostat is ?
44. What should be given to an athlete for instant energy ?
45. Ants are social insects because ?
(1) They have a language
(2) They live in colonies
(3) They live in forests
(4) They share food
46. To which group of plants does the banyan tree belong ?
47. A herbarium is ?
(1) A collection of herbs in dried form
(2) A graden with a varied collection of herbs
(3) A garden with a collection of medicinal herbs
(4) A centre for the preservation of dried specimen of plants
48. The largest part of most diet is made up of ?
(4) Nucleic acid
49. Which of the following digestive enzymes is present in the saliva ?
50. When the right ventricle in the human heart contracts, the blood moves to ?
(4) Pulmonray arteries